Monday, October 27, 2008

Review of "An LDS Girl's Guide to Real Beauty"













http://lizbooksandhobbies.blogspot.com/2008/10/lds-girls-guide-to-real-beauty-by.html

Finally, a fun and age-appropriate book for young girls (perhaps ages 8-13) that discusses beauty, hygiene, exercise, modesty and self-esteem! First off I have to say that this book is absolutely precious - the illustrations are very feminine and fun. My 8-year-old daughter is going to love this book (I am saving it for her for Christmas so mum's the word).

In the introduction the author, Leslie Cheret, says that she was inspired to write this book after spending time working with girls in primary and young women and seeing that so many of them have poor self-perception. I recently heard a study that young girls start deciding that they are fat and ugly somewhere around age 11. It is easy to understand this because of the media they are exposed to and sometimes, sadly, because of their own mothers who unwittingly share feelings of not being good enough, smart enough or thin enough.

I love chapter two that is entitled Self Confidence and Wonder Woman because it discusses spiritual power and having the holy ghost with you - two things that make a girl or a woman truly beautiful.

Chapter three gives away a wonderful beauty secret - SERVICE! What would this world be like if it was filled with women who had the spirit with them and were constantly seeking ways to serve?

I think that my favorite chapter in the book is chapter five which is called Modest is Hottest. Shopping for girls these days can be a pretty tough job, even for the very young ones, because the stores offer short shorts, tight shirts, and well, you get the picture. I love the reminders in here that boys like girls who dress modestly (at least the kind of boys that we all hope our daughters will be dating).

An LDS Girls Guide to Real Beauty is an excellent supplement for the Faith in God Program for Girls. I can't wait to go through this book with my daughter and have a fun way to discuss some of the topics found in it. My daughter loves to read and so I don't doubt that she will have fun reading this book, but I think that other girls who may not like reading as much will be equally enthusiastic to read it because it discusses topics that they are curious about.

*Available at Deseret Book

No comments: